Report from the Legislature – July 2, 2014

Many parts of our province experienced unprecedented rainfall this past week, which resulted in a number of communities declaring local states of emergency.  We expect this number to increase in the coming days. Officials from Emergency Management and Fire Safety, the Provincial Disaster Assistance Program, Water Security Agency, Highways and Agriculture will be working with all communities affected as they begin the recovery process.  Below is a summary of some very important information and contacts to help you address any inquiries.

Provincial Disaster Assistance Program

The Provincial Disaster Assistance Program (PDAP) is designed to help residents, small businesses, agricultural operations, communal organizations, non-profit organizations, parks and communities recover from the effects of natural disasters, including flooding, tornadoes, plow winds and other severe weather.

PDAP is not a substitute for private insurance nor does it provide full compensation for losses. Instead, the program covers damages to uninsurable, essential property. Eligible claims can include clean-up costs, the replacement of essential household items, structural repair and restoration, and preventative measures taken during a disaster.

Local authorities (cities, towns, villages, resort villages, provincial parks, rural municipalities, First Nations) serve as the access point for residents and businesses seeking aid from PDAP. A community must first apply to be designated as a disaster area before individual private claims can be submitted.

PDAP Contact Information – 1-866-632-4033 – 

Water Security Agency

The Water Security Agency continues to monitor flows and potential peak levels of all areas affected by flooding.  Information on current peaks, and projected peaks, as well as actions taking place, and how to prepare for flooding can call be located at

The Emergency Flood Damage Reduction program (EFDRP) provides assistance with the implementation of emergency flood damage reduction or prevention measures in 2014 for communities, rural municipalities, businesses, non-profit organizations, individual farm and country residences and cottages to prevent damage from imminent flooding.

To find out if your community, RM, or individuals within your community can apply for EFDRP, please visit the following website:

We are encouraging any residents who need emergency flood protection or mitigation work to call the provincial water inquiry line at 1-866-727-5420.


A number of highways have been flooded in the affected area, especially in the southeast corner of the province, the Esterhazy-Rocanville area and the Yorkton-Melville area.  Other highways have water over them, but remain open, or have poor surface conditions due to moisture.

While water levels have begun to recede, it is still too early to speculate when these roads may begin to reopen.  Daily status reports are being prepared and pertinent information will be shared as it becomes available.

Damaged highways are being assessed and a plan is being developed to prioritize and make repairs.  Work has already begun on some roads where water levels allow and work will be prioritized based on a number of factors including traffic volumes, ensuring access to vital facilities such as hospitals, ensuring communities are not isolated and taking advantage of opportunities where the water has receded and repairs can be made quickly.

Current road conditions are posted to the Highway Hotline and are available at or toll-free at 1-888-335-7623.

Constituents requiring assistance from the Ministry can contact Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure District Offices as follows:

Carlyle District Office: 306-453-3452

Regina District Office: 306-787-4952

Yorkton District Office: 306-786-1660

Wynyard District Office: 306-554-5432

Calls of an urgent nature will be returned outside of normal business hours. Constituents can also contact their local RCMP detachment in an emergency.


Producers with flooded cropland may be eligible for a claim under the Crop Insurance Program.  Producers can contact their local Crop Insurance office or call 1-888-935-0000

Ministry of Agriculture staff are available to assist producers with emergencies, such as stranded livestock. They can contact their local Ministry of Agriculture office or call 1-866-457-2377.